October & November are Parade Months!
- VB 215 – Manifestations_NL – Second Life Zombie Crawl – Sun 18 October ’20
- VB 216 – Furry Avatar Pride Parade – Saturday 24 October ’20
- VB 217 – Child Avatar Pride Parade – Saturday 31 October ’20
- VB 218 – Syzygy II – Neeva’s 5,000th Rezday & Halloween Party! Sat 31 Oct ’20
- VB 219 – Differently-Abled Avatar Pride Parade – Saturday 7 November ’20
- VB 220 – Animal Avatar Pride Parade – Saturday 14 November ’20
- VB 221 – Demo Avatar Parade – Saturday 21 November ’20
- VB 222 – Mermaid Avatar Pride Parade – Saturday 28 November ’20
- VB 223 – Naked Avatar Pride Parade – Saturday 5 December ’20
- VB 224 – Animesh Parade – Saturday 12 December ’20
VB 213 – Tiny Avatar Pride Parade – Sat 3 Oct ’20
VB 214 – Faerie Avatar Pride Parade – Sat 10 Oct ’20
- All parades will be 5 km/20 Region mainland walks.
- All parades on Saturdays, except VB 215 Zombie Crawl is on Sunday.
- All parades start at 10 am SLT/PDT / 17:00 UTC/GMT
- All parades meet at: Truro/50/72/25
- From there we’ll walk a few meters to: Truro/64/8/25
VB 215 – Manifestations_nl Zombie Crawl
- Sunday 18 October ’20
- 10:00 am SLT/PDT • 1700 UTC/GMT • 1900 CEST – Pre-Party @ Manifestations_nl Island
- 11 am / 1800 / 2000 – Zombie Crawl – same route starting @Truro
- Noon / 1900 / 2100 – Afterparty in the Moo Zone!
VB 218 – Syzygy II – Neeva’s 5,000th Rezday & Halloween Party
- Saturday 31 October ’10
- After the Child Avatar Parade at 11 am SLT in the Sandbox @Varney
VB 224 – Animesh Parade
- Saturday 12 December ’20
- Participants are invited to bring/wear any animesh they may have. Babies, Pets, or anything else.
- There are some rez areas in Bay City, but not that many and not necessarily convenient. If you’re able to rez/attach before arriving, it might be easier.
All parades will use the same route from Truro to Varney. The first 4 km/16 regions, from Truro to Dore, are the paved road of the Bay City Trolley. For the final 1 km/4 regions we go off-road across small hills and a couple of streams from Dore to Varney. The parades will conclude in the large sandbox at Varney where we will have an afterparty.
All avatars are welcome at all parades. You do not need to wear an avatar of the specific type being celebrated that day. However, if you are so inclined, you might like to join us in a Tiny, Faerie, Furry, Differently-Abled, Child, or Animal avatar. Parents & guardians (of any species) are encouraged to join your children in the Child Avatar Pride Parade.
I should note that none of the identities being celebrated this month represent my own day-to-day identity here in SL. I organize these parades not as any sort of insider or leader, but as an interested outsider eager to learn more and expand cross-cultural experiences in our world.
Short answer: parades are fun!
Longer answer: This world of ours was magical before COVID-19 ever appeared. Now that it has, what virtuality affords stands in contrast to the pandemic isolation of RL. We can walk shoulder-to-shoulder with avatars who might live in our same physical city, or on the other side of the globe. In this world we can build community with people not because they share our DNA or Postal Code, but because they share our hopes and dreams of a better world.
It is easier for a differently abled person to order food delivery to their apartment than it is to face the streets of a city that wasn’t built for, for example, a wheelchair. But invisible people never have civil rights. Although they are “rights,” civil rights must still be earned. Civil Rights are earned by standing up and being counted in the light of day. I believe that the Pride Parade is the most fundamental tool of civil rights.
From Hitler’s hatred of Jews and Gays, to Trump’s hatred of Muslims, demagogues have always sought to divide us by exploiting our differences. Yet, in our finer moments, we know that we are stronger together. We are more creative, more innovative, more problem solving, and more powerful, together. “Together” need not mean some sort of amorphous androgyny, it can and should mean, as Mr. Spock liked to say, in our “infinite diversity”.
In RL the diversity of humankind takes many forms. In SL the options for expressing identity grow even larger. This October we take some time to celebrate a few of the many ways of being in this world.